If you’ve made cranberry sauce over the holidays, chances are that you have lots of it left over. So what do you do with leftover cranberry sauce? I plopped a dollop of cranberry sauce between two large dollops of cupcake mix, and you sort of get a filled cupcake. I based my cupcake recipe on this one, with the addition of oatmeal and spices.
Vegan Spiced Cranberry Oat Cupcakes with Orange Glaze
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp vinegar*
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk**
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar***
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- leftover cranberry sauce (about 1 1/4 cups)
- orange juice
- icing (powdered) sugar
*I used red wine vinegar. **I actually used 2% lactose-free milk but almond milk will make this recipe vegan. ***I used 1/3 cup white sugar + 2/3 cup packed brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, warm the coconut oil until it melts, then remove from heat, allowing to cool. Meanwhile, line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups. In a 2-cup (or larger) liquid measuring cup, measure 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and then add milk to it until it reaches the 1-1/2 mark. Allow the soured milk to sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the melted coconut oil, vanilla, and soured milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to combine.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoonful of cupcake batter into each muffin cup, then spoon another heaping tablespoon of cranberry sauce on top, and finally top each off with a final tablespoon or more of cupcake batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the orange glaze. Combine desired amount of icing sugar with enough orange juice to make a glaze.
- Allow cupcakes to cool. Glaze. Enjoy.